Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Nov 30 11:31:18 CET 2009

On 2009/11/30 17:57, Alexander Mayrhofer wrote:

> Besides that, use of Latin Small Letter Sharp S has been significantly
> reduced by changes to German grammar in 1996/2004/2006,

Yes. It has been reduced to those cases where it marks a distinct
pronunciation in opposition to "ss" (in both cases, the s is sharp
(non-voiced), but for "ss", the previous vowel is short, whereas for sz,
it is long). I don't see why this kind of reduction would provide any
argument on the issue at hand.

> and it's use has
> been completely abolished in Switzerland in 2006.

I'm not sure where you got 2006 from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ß#Switzerland_and_Liechtenstein is
definitely much closer to my recollection. I started school in
Switzerland in the 1960s, and never heard about ß until a student moved
in from Austria and joined our class and started asking about it.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp