Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Nov 30 10:07:12 CET 2009

Hello Shawn,

On 2009/11/30 16:45, Shawn Steele wrote:
> I agree with Mark that this is very badly worded.

Can you propose (in your eyes) better wording?

> Also, as Mark alludes, the distinction is between mapping.

Between mapping and what?

> (2) Both characters should be disallowed.  (and mapped as in 2003).
>
> One would expect a swiss person typing "fussball.de" to continue to get to the expected site,

I (consituting a size one sample of Swiss persons) would expect that a
German soccer site would also register fussball.de (in addition to
fußball.de) if they also want to cater to Swiss customers. However, in
that case, they might also go with fussball.ch (unless of course the
site is Germany-specific, and fussball.ch is Switzerland-specific, which
is the current status quo).

> even though the spelling isn't perfect by "de" standards.  The ONLY place where a distinction is interesting is in Germany and Austria, however Mark points out both of those NICs are against this change.

At least DENIC has expressed their position with quite a few
conditionals. In particular for the consensus call, it would be good if
these registries (and other affected people) express themselves directly.

Regards,    Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp