Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

Tina Dam tina.dam at icann.org
Mon Nov 30 04:01:43 CET 2009

Agree with:

(1) Both characters should be PVALID

-----Original Message-----
From: idna-update-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:idna-update-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Vint Cerf
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:28 PM
To: idna-update at alvestrand.no
Cc: lisa Dusseault
Subject: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

In consultation with the area director, issues were raised concerning
the consensus on the use of Latin small letter sharp S and Greek small
final sigma as PVALID in IDNA2008.

I have copied the working group on a request for opinion from the
Unicode Technical Committee.

By this message, I request a response from the Working Group on the
question:

Should Latin Small Letter Sharp S and Greek Small Letter Final Sigma
be PVALID in IDNA2008 or not:

Please Respond by choosing among the following:

(1) Both characters should be PVALID
(2) Both characters should be DISALLOWED
(3) Only Latin Small Letter Sharp S should be PVALID
(4) Only Greek Small Letter Final Sigma should be PVALID

Choices (3) and (4) create additional complexity in dealing with
IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 disparities

During the Last Call, a number of objections were raised with regard
to choice (1) and this led the Area Director to question the rough
consensus that the WG submission to IESG claimed.

It will be much appreciated if all working group members would respond
by December 8.

thanks,

vint cerf