Editorial questions

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Nov 20 22:16:17 CET 2009

Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> I noticed in http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables-07.txt
> the following:
>
> E01F0..EFFFD; UNASSIGNED  # <reserved>..<reserved>
>
> EFFFE..10FFFE; DISALLOWED # <noncharacter>..<noncharacter>
> It is missing 10FFFF.

The Unicode data table /UnicodeData.txt) doesn't tell us what 10FFFE and
10FFFF are; the last character listed is 10FFFD (Plane 16 Private Use,
Last).

On the other hand, Blocks.txt says:

unicode/Blocks.txt:100000..10FFFF; Supplementary Private Use Area-B

So is there a distinction between 10FFFD, 10FFFE and 10FFFF, and does
this document need to make that distinction?

(I think it's unreasonable to allow any of them in domain names, so they
should all be DISALLOWED, but i'm not surprised that there's
inconsistencies here.)

> The titles of the documents are inconsistent: The first three below
> have a prefix, and the last 3 are missing it. Also, the first three
> use titlecase (Background, Explanation, and Rationale have B, E, and R
> capitalized), and the next two don't. It might also be nice to have
> "BIDI" someplace in "Right-to-left scripts for IDNA", and "Tables"
> somewhere in "The Unicode code points and IDNA"
The RFC Editor has strong opinions on where to use titlecase. I always
get changes when I submit RFCs, so I have left that evaluation on his table.