IDNAbis spec

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Wed Nov 4 16:23:42 CET 2009

I was talking about a single DNAME definition, not about other DNAMEs
that might enter the picture at some point. If somebody were to
implement a tool that checks DNAMEs before inserting them into a zone,
that tool could check a *single* DNAME against the IDNAbis bidi rules.

Here is an example from http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2672

frobozz.example.  DNAME    frobozz-division.acme.example.

When the tool is about to insert this DNAME into the zone, it can
apply the bidi rules to the full domain name (which consists of
multiple labels, as you can see).

Even if some other DNAMEs were defined later that would allow the
creation of domain names that break the bidi rules, the client can
check the rules at lookup time and at display time.

Erik