I-D Action:draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings-00.txt

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun May 31 00:10:35 CEST 2009

--On Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:19 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> I earlier criticized the -00 draft for not being technically
> correct. Here are my proposed changes for that. Basically,
> replace "NFC and some NFKC-like actions but avoid touching the
> characters that are allowed in IDNA2008 but weren't allowed in
> IDNA2003" with "protect the characters that are allowed in
> IDNA2008 but weren't allowed in IDNA2003, then do NFKC".

Paul,

I think there is at least one fundamental difference here, but
it may be accidental so I should ask and see if it brings us a
little closer.

There have been several comments on the list (I think first from
Martin) to the effect that there are compatibility mappings
supported as part of NFKC that we fundamentally don't need.  For
example, the many "mathematical" characters that are essentially
font variations on undecorated Latin ones almost certainly have
no appropriate place in domain names: they are hard or difficult
to type in most environments, they don't exist as distinct
glyphs in most of the fonts one would expect to see in URLs,
etc.  If they have any practical value at all, it would be to do
mischief.

The glyph problem adds to the risk that a user will see little
boxes or question marks, naively proceed, and discover that they
masked a known-hostile domain.   So the risk isn't entirely
theoretical.

In the data that Erik and Mark have provided from time to time,
I don't believe we saw any evidence that those characters are in
actual, practical, use in, e.g., URLs.

On that basis, Martin (and others) have suggested that we be
selective about the compatibility mappings we support, focusing
on those that can be typed and have some useful effect and
avoiding those that, like the above, serve no purpose other than
possibly to increase risk.

Do you believe there is actually a reason to map those
characters, as the way you suggest applying NFKC would do?  And,
if so, can you explain why?