I-D Action:draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings-00.txt

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Wed May 27 23:05:45 CEST 2009

Re: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings

I agree with other comments in this thread; and with all due respect to the
effort put into writing the draft, I don't think it accomplishes much. The
core is:

   The general algorithm that an application (or the input method
   provided by an operating system) should use is relatively
   straightforward and generally follows section 5
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings-00#section-5>
of
   [I-D.ietf-idnabis-protocol
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings-00#ref-I-D.ietf-idnabis-protocol>]:

   These are the minimal mappings that an application SHOULD do.

The user of SHOULD rather than must means that, for example, one still
wouldn't know what a IDNAbis-conformant browser would do with href="
http://Übersetzung.de <http://xn--bersetzung-8db.de>". Would it interpret it
as übersetzung.de <http://xn--bersetzung-8db.de> or just fail? By having no
firm requirements, it leaves the issue open, and we are no better off than
if this document weren't there.

Mark