Making progress on the mapping question

James Seng james at seng.sg
Mon Mar 30 13:51:45 CEST 2009

I am concern with the 2-lookup steps because it means it is not
deterministic and could be potentially subjected for abuse.

What we need is not change IDNA2008 but rather then leaving the "local
mapping" undefined with a 100 possible variation of that, we make one
defined mapping as a common denominator. If we have a common
denominator mapping, I haven't figure out if we still need a local
mapping above that...

I am also hesitate to call it IDNA2003 mapping because it implies only
IDNA2003-related mapping is done, when I can see we may need
flexibility of additional mappings if and when Unicode extend further.
John has concerns about this and I also agree so my position is also
not firm here.

-James Seng