Change requests to the table document -- pass them to me please!

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 25 20:51:06 CET 2009

Mark Davis wrote:
> You didn't look back far enough, for example:
> http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2008-November/003021.html
>
> To that message I got no response from you, agreement or disagreement.
> As I said in the meeting, I've also heard from others that they were
> waiting on some of the major issues to settle before speaking up on
> the context issues. I think we made enough progress in the meeting
> that now is probably the time for that.
Note that I disagree with several of the points from that note (not the
need to be precise, but I like functions like Previous() much better
than pseudovariables like P, and I think the initial ruleset needs to
stay in the document after publication).

I missed replying to your comments in November, but see that the
relevant sections were revised in December, so my comments would
probably have been moot anyway.

> I will add one other point from the meeting, these rules are complex
> enough that until we get two independent implementations of the rules
> (that agree on the results) we cannot have any confidence in them. And
> because they are crucial to getting correct A-Labels, we need to have
> confidence in them.
As part of those implementations, I also would like a test set; the lack
of a test set was a major hindrance for me when attempting to
reimplement the Unicode Bidi algorithm.

                 Harald