non-ASCII dots

James Seng james at seng.sg
Sun Mar 22 22:33:23 CET 2009

I think you misunderstood about the "dot" problem. It is not these
"dots" are allowed as domain name but they are identified as
"separator" like "."

The main reason is to because when a user switch to CJK inputs, when
he press ".", most IME will spur out U+3002 instead. If you do not
identify U+3002 as a separator, then a user will have to enter CJK
IME, switch back to English, enter a ".", switch back to CJK IME etc.

See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jet-idnabis-cjk-localmapping-00

-James Seng