consensus Call: TATWEEL

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Mar 22 16:57:39 CET 2009

Assuming that we are talking about U+0640 ARABIC TATWEEL, my position is:

YES (ie make it DISALLOWED)

The following are just a few comments to explain my current position.
Tatweel appears to be used mainly for display purposes. It does not
appear to be necessary to make separate registrations for names that
differ only in the presence or absence of tatweel.

If we decide to pursue a display preference, the tatweel can be added
to the display character set, though we may wish to recommend a max on
the number of consecutive tatweels in display (say, 2 or so?).

Erik