AW: Names

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Mar 20 11:45:39 CET 2009

Friends,

While these statistics are interesting, it seems to me that the
discussion appears to equate the expression of surnames in IDNA and
the purpose of IDNA which is to express identifiers in the Domain Name
Space. The Domain Name Space was intended to express identifiers of
end points in the Internet as an analog of IP addresses for the most
part.

I hope the WG will be able to keep clear the distinction between
expressions in natural languages and the purpose of domain names, as
these are not synonymous. The use of Unicode for purposes of IDNA does
not change the purposes of DNS regardless of the other purpose to
which Unicode may be put. IDNA is intended to extend the range of
identifier expression in DNS.

vint

Vint Cerf
Google