The Future of IDNA

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Fri Mar 20 02:43:39 CET 2009

James,

U+0384 GREEK TONOS is *not* the character in question.
That is a compatibility *spacing* character, and like
various other standalone spacing clones of diacritics,
it is DISALLOWED in the idnabis-tables-05.txt document.
Compare U+02DB OGONEK, for example.

The character in question for the *actual* Greek
tonos accent is:

U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT

And the equivalences in question for bundling of
monotoniko Greek would be, for example:

U+03AC GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA WITH TONOS

  = <U+03B1 GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA + U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT>

  = (by bundling for accent ignoring) U+03B1 GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA

> Okay. Is U+0384 being used in any other context?

U+0384 is irrelevant. U+0301 is the character in question,
and of course that is widely used with Latin and Cyrillic
(and even some other scripts) as well as with Greek.
So we are talking about Greek-script-specific combinations
of letters plus accents. And even then, the issue for
bundling is for the monotoniko representation of modern
Greek primarily.

--Ken