The Future of IDNA

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Mar 19 20:08:14 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:12:39AM -0700, Erik van der Poel wrote:
> HTML processing. The point is that IF the client does not map Final
> Sigma to Normal Small Sigma and Characters with Tonos to Characters
> without Tonos, THEN the server must bundle all of the permutations
> (final/normal and with/without tonos).

I'm not sure I accept your premise.  I think that the IDNAbis work
started with the premise that what you describe above is a policy
matter for the zone operator.  If you want to argue it's _not_ (and
we've had some such arguments, most strongly from Mark Davis, I think,
on security grounds), that's ok.  Disagreement about this premise is,
in my opinion, the crux of the controversy over whether IDNA2008 or
IDNAv2 is the right path to try to follow.  But I don't think you can
assume that everyone will come up with the same answer to the question
of what one does in the case the client does not map these characters.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.