xd- with C/DNAME (was: Re: The Two Lookups Approach (was Re: Parsing the issuesand finding a middle ground -- another attempt))

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Mar 16 18:20:58 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:54:02AM -0700, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> CNAME/DNAME don't appear to require more than one lookup. I tried
> www.xn--kxadbfj6eq.gr from Firefox on Windows and Ethereal reported a
> single packet going out (the query), and a single packet coming back,
> which included a DNAME, a CNAME and an IP address. (I'm willing to
> believe that Ethereal is showing me fake packets due to Windows API
> quirks.)

I don't understand your report there, because you haven't given enough
information.  What query did you send, and how, and what was the
actual response you got back from the DNS server?  Because the
description sounds wrong unless I make some assumptions about what
you're getting in different sections.

Note that your preference for CNAME is going to make things rather
more difficult, becuase CNAME aliases an RNAME but not things below
the RNAME.  There are big controversies over whether _anything_ may be
below the RNAME.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.