Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Mar 16 08:57:09 CET 2009

--On Sunday, March 15, 2009 22:09 +0100 JFC Morfin
<jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> No. I am not talking of the limited use and usage VeriSign
> plug-in. I  am talking of the millions of IDNs and tens of
> millions of i-DNs  plug-ins and ISP patch enabled users, under
> IDNA2003. I am just  talking of the existing, non-ICANN,
> Internet multilingual usage which  represents a significant
> part of the world usage. The problem ".fra"  has with it, is
> that the proposition is not case-sensitive for the  time
> being. But we could make "xs--" to be case sensitive.

Jefsey,

You will never get case-sensitivity with ."fra" in the DNS
unless your intention is to provide an equal-opportunity mess by
encoding everything with a prefix, including basic (undecorated)
Latin characters.  That encoding can't be Punycode, since it
won't encode those basic Latin characters.

And that has nothing to do with ICANN but with the basic
case-insensitive matching rules that go back to the original DNS
design and indeed to the earliest host naming rules on the
ARPANET.