Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Mar 15 16:15:09 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Cary Karp <ck at nic.museum> wrote:
> Quoting Erik:
>> Ordinary users neither seek nor discover such special plug-ins, so I
>> don't find this argument persuasive.
>
> Are you saying this on the basis of explicit knowledge of the
> conditions that pertained when the IDNs first began appearing in the
> identifier space, or are you making an intuitive appraisal?

I'm guessing.

> From the
> IDN registry side of things it sure seemed as though VeriSign's IE6
> plug-in was being routinely downloaded by anyone who wanted to access
> IDN-labeled resources with a browser.

I'm sure the absolute number seemed large, but do you have any actual
percentages? Or estimates?

> Nor can I see any reason to
> expect that people who want to use IDNA2008 will shy away from
> bolstering their software arsenals as necessary.

I'm not sure whether Eszett users are clamoring for IDNAbis. Perhaps
the Greeks are, but not because of Final Sigma. They want to solve
their tonos problem. And I have to agree that ZWJ/ZWNJ users seem to
be clamoring for IDNAbis.

Erik