Fixing display variations (was: AW: Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Mar 13 19:26:31 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 07:14:00PM +0100, JFC Morfin wrote:
> you cannot avoid the fact that multilingualization needs a
> presentation layer the Internet technology presently has not.

I can buy that.  What isn't clear to me is what part of the
presentation layer the IETF needs to build.  What I think it the case
is that the IETF needs to provide the infrastructure by which
presentation layers can be built, without providing the presentation
layer itself.  This is because the IETF does not have the expertise,
really, to do user interface things (and I think the presentation
layer is somewhere up in that user interface space).

So, if someone were to put together a document outlining what any
presentation layer needs in terms of information about network names,
that would probably be interesting input.  It would not, however, be
input for this WG working on the current problem it's aiming to solve,
which is internationalization of the DNS and _not_ presentation
problems of netnames.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.