AW: AW: Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Georg Ochsner g.ochsner at revolistic.com
Fri Mar 13 19:01:49 CET 2009

It is totally common in that case to orally specify the spelling. E.g. "My
Name is Weiß, with sharp s." or "My Name is Weiss, with double s". It's as
normal as Mr. A tells you he has the domain "nicewebsite.de", while Mr. B
tells you tomorrow his domain is "nice dash website.de". What I want to say
is, if there is (possible) confusion, people will simply specify.

> I may not mind owning "steele.com" but there are lots of steele's, we
> can't all get our preferred choice.
>
> What matters is if Herr Weiß puts the eszett on his business card, it
> should work (which it already does)

It only works using a new browser. But knowing that 25% are still using IE6,
putting ß on a business card is still a bad idea.
BTW so many people which I meet do not know yet, that Umlauts can be used
within domains (even if they have a new browsers installed). In my opinion
IDNA2008 should focus on a long-term goal, i.e. that all characters can be
used equally natural, as in analog life.

> The broken and clutzy part is that when the browser displays it the ß is
> lost.  That isn't a requirement to make distinct DNS entries for these
> names.  It is a requirement for fixing display variations.
>
> This is particularly true because if Herr Weiß currently has a working
> URL, it will go somewhere else if we made this change.  There's no
> guarantee he'd be able to register the new version before someone else.

I think it makes no sense to stick ß and ss together within the protocol. In
my eyes this would be highhanded. While introducing IDNA2008 this can be
solved well on registry level (e.g. sunrise period). And afterwards all new
registrants will have the free choice to use the characters as they
personally like.

Best regards
Georg