Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Shawn Steele (???) Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 12 23:27:22 CET 2009

> If what you're saying is that backward compatibility will be necessary
> while zones switch from IDNA2003 to IDNA2008 behaviour, I agree (and I
> can see there are lots of ways that could fail to work).  It probably
> means the various try-2008-fail-to-2003 strategies people have talked
> about, which includes the two-lookup approach.  (That two-lookup
> approach is indeed broken in principle, but it might be good enough
> for a transition strategy.)

> If what you're saying is that IDNA2003 is around forever, then how do
> you deal with John's argument that, if you mean that, IDNAv2 won't
> solve the problem either.

I think it is OK to add code points, I think it is hard to remove them or change the mapping rules, so then, yes, IDNA2003 code points will be around forever.

So I think that the digit mapping is also an unnecessary change that is made somewhat moot because clients will "just" use IDNA2003 and get them anyway.

- Shawn