Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Mar 12 15:15:39 CET 2009

> ...  the various try-2008-fail-to-2003 strategies people have talked
> about, which includes the two-lookup approach.  (That two-lookup
> approach is indeed broken in principle, but it might be good enough
> for a transition strategy.)

Andrew,

I've been up part of the night with a child with a sleeping disorder, so
I'm wicked insufficiently caffinated, but the ARP code (arp_rtrequest(),
and the subsequent call paths) in *nix (your implementation may differ)
is/was a two-lookup approach. I recall doing access router (wicked
rococo access link media types, not a simple fastpath-uber-alles core
router) where the only mechanism that would result in the service
discovery required was two-lookup. I expect there are other
ask-twice-do-once algorithms thriving in the wild.

I appreciate the desire to get the right answer the first time, but
"broken in principle" needs technical justification, specific to the
problem domain. If you have the time, and I can wait until SF, could you
supply the clue by four?

TiA,
Eric