[Idna-arabicscript] Reasons for disallowing Arabic script digitmixing at the protocol level

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Mar 11 19:27:16 CET 2009

Martin,

At Minneapolis and on the list immediately following, several people
demanded examples of "something useful" for mixed script digits. So
we're just repeating the mostly-governmental-contributors to Ram's
Arabic project statement that things without meaning or elegance be
banned in the protocol, which John was kind enough to mule back from the
not very widely announced meeting of "Arabic Script Experts" after the
ICANN meeting in Cairo four months ago, to which no Iranians could
attend, and governments were much more prominent than not, to the
Minneapolis meeting.

Now the same set of views have been offered as some sort of consensus
document, and I think it is a consensus, of Arab Language using
governments, that is, the Arab League, though not of typographers,
upscale and with nice workstations and doing paid creative work for
global ad agencies, or downscale and armed only with spray paint cans
and imagination, working in Arabic or languages using some or all of the
Arabic characters, or the other half of the world, governmental or not,
which use "Arabic Script" but not Arabic.

I don't particularly mind revisiting the same ground every four months,
but what nags me now as then is the implicit assumption that Alireza
needs Martin's permission to play with Farsi, and that simply isn't the
case. The same implicit assumption was present four months ago, it was
someone else's turn to play language cop.

Rather than "ask" that the exotic user of the exotic language justify
his or her statement of requirements to the dominant linguistic and
cultural elite (Americans with former ARPA handles and others marginally
associated with power), we could be asking what specific cases, for the
engineering constraints we have to suffer (and I really do mean treating
"." as a god damn piece of direction leaking punctuation), were we
cannot presently state a correct specification.

The no-mixing proposal, now authored by Manal Ismail, Egypt's
representative to ICANN Governmental Advisory Committee, can be
accomplished in registry local policy, and protocol global policy.
Independent of whether it is good policy or not, and my views are that
it is an over-specification, which Manal, Ram, and the attentive readers
of both the Norwegian and Iranian hosted mailing lists may recall and
ignore, because it can be implemented as registry policy and because
there exists greater scope of Arabic Script use than just the ccTLD
registries operated by or in cooperation with the member states of the
Arab League, that it is imprudent to make the policy global in scope,
implemented in the protocol.

Somewhere in South West Asia someone is thinking of a new brand name and
a marketing campaign or is tagging the side of a bus with spray paint,
using latin characters, including digits, or glyphs that look like latin
characters, common characters from the union of arabic and farsi and
urdu, including digits, or glyphs that look like those characters,
including digits, to create strings.

These are deprecated as domain names in the registries following
governmental policy flowing from Arab League member states, and allowed
elsewhere. Our problem is the subset which either (a) breaks input
methods, under the assumption that we care about other peoples' broken
code, or (b) enjoys undefined or non-unique processing outcomes from the
current bidi algorithm, or (c) add your assertion of controlling
rationale here.

Remember, this is not about the similarity of the glyphs for 5, 6, and
7, that is a problem specific to the similarity of three pairs of code
points, not all digits, and the message John muled back from Cairo last
November, and Ram's happily pointed the IDNAbis list to as some kind of
consensus document recycling the same message this week, is about all
digits, not these three pairs with visually indistinguishable yet
un-unified glyphs.

Eric