draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Tue Mar 10 01:12:51 CET 2009

At 5:00 PM -0700 3/9/09, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>Some may consider URLs irrelevant in this discussion, but if you have
>an RTL TLD with a trailing digit followed by a path with a leading
>digit, the TLD gets split up, with one piece on one side of the slash
>and the other piece on the other side.
>
>http://HEBREW1/2 -->> http://1/2HEBREW
>
>(I don't know whether actual bidi users would find this objectionable.)

Two things here:

- I was asking specifically about domain names, not IRIs. There are other things in IRIs that cause problems that are not related to this discussion.

- I don't think we should expect to see a URL of <http://tld/index.html>. I was specifically asking about TLDs, not just any label, because TLDs always have a label to the left of them in common usage.