Mapping and Variants

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Mar 9 22:56:54 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 02:49:01PM -0700, Tina Dam wrote:

> They will have to be treated as aliased TLDs - in other words as
> "DNAME'd" if DNAME had functioned in the root.

[…]

> As far as I have understood this does not work, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Why not?  DNAME cannot alias the same record: you couldn't DNAME
$somelabel to .com and expect someone to be able to reach
http://$somelabel.  But I'd like to believe that we are not yet to the
point where we are putting A records for the top level domains into
the parent's zone file.  DNAME can't alias the root zone _itself_, of
course, but that has more to do with the fact that there's nowhere to
alias it to.  Elephants all the way down, and all that.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.