Mapping and Variants

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Mon Mar 9 07:08:04 CET 2009

On 9 mar 2009, at 03.52, Martin Duerst wrote:

> My point was that this is mainly theoretical, because mixing
> scripts in general, and very much in this case, is a bad idea,
> nonwithstanding examples where it actually might make some sense,
> such as $B&L(Bvolt. Can you give an example that makes a bit more
> sense than just "AA"?

Martin, people will most certainly register this, "just because they
can". The example because of this I think is valid.

You also have to remember that people do have interest in mixing
scripts, for example various scripts and latin.

To limit the problems we do have in IDNA2008 two things that protect
against problems:

- We have defined what is a U-label and A-label, and because of this,
it is a very very clear signal what codepoints should be used. If we
also have mappings, fine, but it is clear that those characters are in
the gray area whether they should be used for example in publications.

- We have for the most problematic situations regular expressions that
limit the use of some codepoints that create real problems if they are
used in a non-intended-context.

What do you want more? You want more regular expressions? You want to
reopen the discussion on mixing scripts again?

    Patrik