Mapping and Variants

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Thu Mar 5 23:48:09 CET 2009

Hi John,

That is certainly an interesting addition to our discussion. Within
the current DNS, it would be very difficult to do server-side
matching, so if there is no mapping at all on the client side, we
would have to bundle a bunch of things on the server side. E.g.
upper-case and lower-case accented Latin letters. (Or just make the
lookup fail.)

However, since many systems do perform lower-case mapping, we may have
to bundle seemingly unrelated characters like Greek lower-case alpha
and Latin lower-case a, just because their upper-case forms look
identical.

So the answer is (again) to get users used to the idea of using
lower-case only in the DNS. We can do a number of things to "educate"
them. One is to always display domain names in lower-case. Some
organizations may not like this because they like to advertise their
domain names with certain letters capitalized.

Clients and registrars could nudge users in the right direction by
lower-casing domain names immediately or soon after the user has typed
them.

HTML clients could nudge authors in the right direction by refusing to
lower-case non-ASCII letters, thereby causing those links to be
ineffective. This may seem draconian, but it appears that HTML authors
no longer use very many upper-case non-ASCII letters in their domain
names. Around November 2005, the use of upper-case non-ASCII peaked at
0.005% of HTML links (in Google's index). After that, their use
dwindled, and since November 2007 the percentage has been 0.0001%.

Erik