Venn diagram in -defs-06

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Mar 3 17:29:38 CET 2009

Dear colleagues,

It appears to me that the Venn diagram at Fig 1 in -defs-06 has a
mistake in it.  In it, R-LDH LABELS are contained inside the box of
NR-LDH LABELS.  I think that's wrong.  As I read the definitions,
R-LDH and NR-LDH are two completely disjunct sets.  (If you have
trouble reading the diagram in the draft because of the way it's been
laid out across the pages by the rendering tool, you can find it also
in
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2009-February/003463.html.)

The other possibility is that there's something wrong with the
diagram.  As I look at the diagram, there does appear to be something
wrong with it.  If we work outwards in the top boxes, we have A-labels
and Invalid A-labels in the innermost, then XN LABELS, then R-LDH
LABELS, then NR-LDH LABELS, then LDH-LABEL, which means that the outer
ASCII-LABEL label is superfluous.  That can't be right.  So if I work
in, I read ASCII-LABEL as the marker for the outer box.  LDH-LABEL is
then the marker for the top large box (that also makes sense, because
otherwise that box is both LDH-LABEL and NON-LDH-LABEL, and I'm pretty
sure Venn diagrams don't allow A&~A in the same box ;-) .  Since
A-labels, Invalid A-labels, XN LABELS all obviously mark the three
innermost boxes, we're stuck with two markers (R-LDH and NR-LDH) for
one box.

I attach a PNG file (I dunno if it'll make it to the list -- if it's
filtered I'll try something else) that I think is the diagram actually
wanted.  I am nowhere near good enough a warlord to do it in
ASCII-art.  I didn't bother labelling the subclasses of
Non-LDH-labels, since everything in that class is automatically out of
scope for us anyway.

I think this needs fixing up, or else it needs to be removed from
defs.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com