Draft - Task list for updates to Defs, Protocol, and Rationale

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Jul 30 13:33:08 CEST 2009

As promised on Monday, this is the tentative change list for
Defs, Protocol, and Rationale.  If you know of other items
(especially bugs that need to be fixed), please let me (or the
list if they  are more substantive) know as soon as possible).
Otherwise, these are the things that will be worked on for the
next versions.

    john

   ------

Defs:

	* Remove placeholders/ requests for further
	clarification unless suggestions are received soon.

	* Corrections and improvements to figure formatting

	* Check for changes required by mapping decisions (there
	are not believed to be any -- contributions from WG
	required)

Protocol:

	* Corrections to reflect mapping document, including new
	text to "invoke" mapping.

	* Some format corrections

Rationale:

* Mapping changes, including incorporation of material from the
Mapping document and deletion of discarded alternatives.

* Improve motivation for registration

* "Best practices" for registration (i) may not always be best,
(ii) may differ in different circumstances, (iii) are probably
the best we can do.

* Document should, ideally, discuss the conditions under which
one would want to map or not map.   I will circulate some text
to the list as a starting point.  If we can get fairly immediate
consensus on text, I'll put it in.  If the discussion either
yields clear lack of consensus or degenerates  into quibbles, we
give up on providing any guidance that does not already appear
in the Mapping document.

General:  In addition to the above, there are cross-references
in the various documents to the others that would be better if
section numbers were used and placeholder notes for those
section numbers.  It appears to me that we are now close enough
to finished that the section numbers should be filled in on this
pass.