Mapping ( was: Thai Codepoint U+0E33)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Jul 30 12:38:09 CEST 2009

Gerv,

The working group reached its conclusion after 18 months of debate,
and in particular after two IETF meetings and countless emails devoted
to discussion about mappings.

The problem is that there is no single set of mappings that can be
applied that seem to satisfy all requirements. We have documented what
can be registered in the system (namely A-labels). We have documented
how to transform a string from A-label to U-label and back (they are
exactly equivalent under punycode transformation). We have shown that
it is possible to safely perform fewer tests on strings to be looked
up than on strings to be registered, on the assumption that all
registered strings will have passed the stringent tests for U-label
and/or A-label forms prior to being registered.

Mapping functionality occurs in different places in the system,
depending on where you start and what application you happen to be
running and maybe what scripts you happen to be using to say nothing
of what input methods might be invoked (voice, keyboard, cut/paste,
computation, etc).

Mark's comments reflect his opinions. The WG consensus reflects the
general opinions of a wider range of experts.

vint