Potentially redundant context rules

Matitiahu Allouche matial at il.ibm.com
Wed Jul 29 13:48:21 CEST 2009

Patrik Fältström asked:
"What about the other way around?
Is there anything that is covered by Tables context rules that is NOT
covered by the Bidi?"

Sure!  The context rules for ZWJ and ZWNJ, Geresh and Gershayim have no
equivalent in idnabis-bidi-03.txt.

By the way, even the rules for digits overlap between the 2 documents but
are far from identical:
- In the Tables document, only Arabic-Indic digits and Extended
Arabic-Indic digits are mutually exclusive (but can coexist with regular
digits in the same label).
- In the Bidi document, regular digits (U+0030..U+0039) are mutually
exclusive with Arabic-Indic digits, while there is no explicit mention of
Extended Arabic-Indic digits, so by default they will be handled like
regular digits since they have the same Bidi type (EN).

If we call EN the regular digits, AN the Arabic-Indic digits and XN the
Extended Arabic-Indic digits, the combinations

- EN and AN is disallowed in Bidi and allowed in the Tables
- EN and XN is allowed in both documents
- AN and XN is disallowed in both documents

Seems to me that some more work is needed here.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati
           Bidi Architect
           Globalization Center Of Competency - Bidirectional Scripts
           IBM Israel
           Phone: +972 2 5888802    Fax: +972 2 5870333    Mobile: +972 52
2554160