Potentially redundant context rules

Chris Wright chris at ausregistry.com.au
Tue Jul 28 18:05:53 CEST 2009

Patrik et al.

My reading of that thread is as follows (my extremely short summarised opinion only, focusing only on hyphen and Arabic digits context rules as these are the only two that I was discussing):

> Mark Davis: Existing context rules shouldn't exist

> Andrew Sullivan: (about hyphens) If it is a requirement of the DNS then surely it should be a rule
[to which I would say, DNS imposes no requirements on U-labels, this working group would come up with those requirements, if we are to make this rule because we wish to have U-labels also conform to the host name rules for hyphens then surely a context rule that can be ignored is not sufficient and that making it a protocol rule would be better as is done with the consecutive hyphens]

> Mark Davis: (about hyphens) Confused about it being a requirement of the DNS, however, makes the same point that we do about it should be a protocol rule

> Alireza Saleh: (about Arabic numbers) Makes a statement that he wouldn't like to see the Arabic number restrictions as either context rules OR BIDI rules!

> Michel Suignard: (about hyphens) Also got confused about the hyphen rule being a requirement of the DNS, (about Arabic numerals) supported having the Arabic numeral context rules in BIDI only (well said it "is probably fine")

> Andrew Sullivan: (about hyphens )Said he doesn't care, but preference is a context rule, with no reasoning as to why he prefers a context rule

> John Klensin: (about Arabic numbers) Supported the rules about Arabic being in BIDI, said they ended up in context so he didn't argue, but he preferred them in BIDI
[and our point is that the rules are in BOTH context and BIDI at the moment, thus redundant and only NEED to be in one!]
(about hyphens) He then went on to say that the hyphens should not be protocol but context, because DNS is meant to be about octets
[following that argument then I don't understand why the "double hyphen" rule gets to make it into the protocol and not be a context rule as well? I think John may have confused the order in which he discussed the double hyphen and leading and trailing hyphens but I am not sure]

> Mark Davis: BIDI is good, doesn't like context rules, but doesn't really care as he will just ignore them

Now the only two issues we are raising is the following:

The Arabic number rule is enforced twice, once in BIDI and once in context rules, we are not saying it shouldn't be enforced (ie we are not saying ignore the advice of the Arabic experts), we are saying it only needs to be enforced once in one place! It is redundant to do it twice! And then we are saying that our preference is to see it remain in BIDI and have the context rule version taken away. <--- I haven't seen anyone comment on this, or alternatively explain why the two versions are actually required

The other argument about hyphen is again one of consistency, if we can enforce '--' in protocol then why can't we also enforce the leading and trailing dash in protocol as well (where it can't be ignored), if the intention is to give u-labels similar rules to the hostname rules. <---- I haven't seen anyone explain why the one exception is allowed but the other is not

Thanks

Chris