Potentially redundant context rules

Chris Wright chris at ausregistry.com.au
Tue Jul 28 15:50:12 CEST 2009

Patrik,

As per our conversation just after the working group meeting yesterday, this is a reminder to look into why there are context rules for Arabic digits in the tables document (the last two context rules) when these tests are already covered by the rules in the BIDI document (i.e. they are redundant). If there was some reason for this (none that we seem to be able to find) we would suggest that this rational be added in the appropriate place in the rational / tables/ or BIDI document, otherwise the redundant context rules should be removed and the code points returned to PVALID status.

Some previous discussions on the matter seem to support that this was to be done in the BIDI document OR as context rules eg.

http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/2008-November/003024.html

It appears that, perhaps for different reasons, it has actually ended up being done in both places. Either way, even if each set of rules exist for different reasons, the context rules are redundant.

Thanks

Chris