Data on confusables

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jul 27 21:07:25 CEST 2009

On 27/07/09 07:54, Mark Davis ⌛ wrote:
> Now, as with any statistics, the data is only an approximation.

It seems to me that the appropriate question to ask when judging impact is:

What percentage of domain names contain at least one character which is
confusable with another character permitted by IDNA2003, but no
characters which are confusable with characters permitted by IDNA2008?

In other words, how many domain names move from the "possibly spoofable"
category into the "not spoofable category"?

You say that in IDNA2008, 4.17% of PVALID characters have different
IDNA2008 PVALID character they are confusable with. What is the
percentage of IDNA2008 PVALID characters which are confusable with a
PVALID character in IDNA2003? (Yes, I have asked that question exactly
as I meant it.)

Gerv