Katakana Middle Dot again (Was: tables-06b.txt: A.5, A.6, A.9)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Jul 27 20:47:23 CEST 2009

On 25/07/09 08:56, Shawn Steele wrote:
> I'm quite concerned about the effort put into a few code points to
> "solve" homograph issues when it does pretty much nothing to solve
> phishing.  It's like locking the windows and keeping the front door
> wide open.

No-one is suggesting that the changes we are making at the protocol
legvel "solve" homograph issues. But I do suggest they are a necessary
precursor. For example, eliminating swathes of non-letter characters
reduces the combinatorial confusable problem.

#> Phishers aren't going to let a little thing like a middle dot stop
> them, it's just as easy, or easier, to just register
> "paypal.safest.com" and go from there.

Well, some browsers (including yours, I think) now display "safest.com"
quite prominently when you are on that site, so hopefully this trick
will become less effective.

Gerv