[0-9\-] in Single-script Contextual Rules

Wil Tan wil at cloudregistry.net
Fri Jul 24 16:35:49 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Several of the contextual rules specify that the label must only
contain a certain script (e.g. Greek, Cyrillic). However, I believe
that in some cases, the use of [0-9] and Hyphen-minus, all of which
are in the "Zyyy" script, is often permitted and makes sense. For
example,

Appendix A.5. GREEK LOWER NUMERAL SIGN (KERAIA)
   Code point:
      U+0375
   Overview:
      Greek script only.
   Lookup:
      False
   Rule Set:
      True;
      For All Characters:
         If Script(cp) .ne.  Greek Then False;
      End For;

I wonder if we are being too restrictive here. I note that the .gr
registry allows 0-9 in their IDN policies.

Perhaps we should change the rule to the following?

  True;
  For All Characters:
    If Script(cp) .ne. Greek And cp Not .in. 002D,0030..0039 Then False;
  End For;

Similar treatment may also be warranted in A.6 Combining Cyrillic Titlo?

=wil