Eszett

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Jul 18 11:59:24 CEST 2009

On 18 Jul 2009, at 02:18, Mark Davis ⌛ wrote:

> If we were starting with a blank slate, it would be feasible to have
> ß/ẞ kept separate from ss/SS (although note that the German
> national standards body doesn't: the uppercase of ß is SS, which is
> why they got connected in the first place in Unicode).
>
> But we are not starting with a clean slate: we are facing with
> changes to an existing widely-deployed standard, over 6 years old,
> which is a long time in terms of the web. We have two options.

We are also starting in a world where LATIN CAPITAL SHARP S exists, so
it's disingenuous to talk about a blank slate. It's a different slate.

> A. Maintain compatibility with IDNA2008:
> URL
> Result
> When
> http://ÖBB.at
> http://xn--bb-eka.at
> always
> http://öbb.at

Pretty table. Links to Austrian rail. Means nothing to me. How does
this address the issue of LATIN CAPITAL SHARP S?

> B. Try to separate them, leaving users with a de-facto indeterminant
> mapping.
> URL
> Result
> When
> http://ÖBB.at
> http://xn--bb-nha.at
> sometimes
> http://ÖBB.at
> http://xn--bb-eka.at
> sometimes
> http://öbb.at
> http://xn--bb-eka.at
> always

Oh never mind. I see that Vint has responded appropariately.