IDNA Comparisons

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Jul 17 22:09:34 CEST 2009

First, I was giving Braille as an example of the kinds of things people
should look for. So I'm not pushing this particular issue; I agree that
based on Braille usage that we don't really need it in IDNs. However, a
discussion of why significant edge cases are excluded is something that
belongs in Rationale, in case the question comes up.

Secondly, however, Cary's rationale is not a useful test. While a Braille
cell can have different representations in other characters, so can a great
many letters. An "a" represents something quite different in English than
in, say, French. There are many Han characters that represent something
quite different in Chinese than in Japanese. The letters "chat", mean
something quite different to a Frenchman than to a Welshman. Similarly a
particular braille sequence doesn't mean the same to a blind Frenchman as to
a blind Welshman.

Mark