IDNA Comparisons

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Jul 17 20:56:12 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 01:24:25PM -0400, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> latin. From observing my son, some encoding sequences have an additional
> meaning, not contained in the toAscii value sequence and the literal
> transliteration.

Without expressing any opinion on the merits of any of these positions
(since I just don't have enough information to have a sensible
opinion, which nicely distinguishes this from the case where I have
enough information but come to a senseless opinion anyway), the above
sounds rather like an argument starting from the meanings perceptible
by native speakers of a natural language, as compared to meanings
"formally" part of the language.  To me, that sounds like criteria for
writing literature, which we've all agreed is out of scope.

I think the proper question, as we've maintained with other
characters, is whether there is a linguistic community that writes
those characters as letters (this is why Tatweel has been ruled out).
If the answer is yes, then it's registry policy what to do with them.
At least, I _think_ that has been the general principle (without
elevating it to a hard and fast rule).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.