U+07FA, NKO LAJANYALAN (was Re: consensus on TATWEEL)

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Wed Jul 15 00:56:52 CEST 2009

Michael said:

> There is one in Mongolian too.

Michael is referring to U+180A MONGOLIAN NIRUGU, which
is another of these stem extenders in a cursive script.

However, unlike TATWEEL and NKO LAJANYALAN, U+180A
is gc=Po (Punctuation, Other), in part because it also
has another hyphen-like function in Mongolian. Because
it is classed as punctuation, U+180A is already defined
as DISALLOWED for IDNA in idnabis-tables-05.txt. So
there is nothing further in question about U+180A.

The issue is about explicitly disallowing U+0640 ARABIC TATWEEL
and U+07FA NKO LAJANYALAN, which are gc=Lm, and which
are still classed as PVALID in idnabis-tables-05.txt.
(But which, when we discussed this last, we had consensus
should be DISALLOWED, instead.)

--Ken