[iucg] mappings-01 and the general procedure

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 22:22:26 CEST 2009

Alessandro wrote:

> * Match all of "a", "A", "á", "Á", "å", "Å", etcetera.
> Possibly also match "l" and "1", like old typewriters, so
> that, e.g., "paypal" and "paypa1" match. A procedure could
> even do complicate phonetics processing.

There is only so much mapping you can do and mapping will not deal with
cases such as "cl" and "d" which, in the same way as your example, when
rendered in certain fonts are prime characters for phishing - consider
www.barclays.co.uk and www.bardays.co.uk.  Basically, this means that each
application will need to write software that will deal with such issues.  It
is entirely possible to write base software that will deal with this type of
issue that can be incorporated as a plugin to various other applications
that will allow such strings but will alert the end user/registry etc. to
the possibility of a security/trademark breach. I don't believe that this
type of mapping should be conducted within IDNA2008 - IMHO it should be a
secondary process conducted by implementers of IDNA2008 according to their
needs and perceptions.

Best regards

Debbie