Turkish i/ı

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Jul 14 05:57:02 CEST 2009

Hello Michael, others,

On 2009/07/12 22:54, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2009, at 14:27, Cary Karp wrote:

>> I also suspect that the availability of both i and ı is likely to be
>> the
>> primary concern for Turkish IDNs. I'd further venture a guess that any
>> use of CamelCaps in the Turkish segment of the bus-sided namespace has
>> already been conditioned by the problem with the lower-casing of I
>> to i.

Maybe not exactly. IDNA2003 maps I to i. And Turkish ı is often written
I when only ASCII is available. But I agree that the availability of
both i and ı is likely to be the primary concern for Turkish IDNs.

> Klingon domain names are likewise impacted, since in Klingon Latin
> orthography q and Q are different letters.

In IDNA2008, we can make i and ı different the same way we make ss and ß
different. But we can't make q and Q different. So Klingon domain names
impacted not only likewise, but much more heavily. But in my view,
that's not really a problem. Turkish (and other languages that
distinguish i and ı) are used by magnitudes more people than Klingon, in
particular if you look at first language users.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp