mappings-01 and the general procedure

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Jul 13 02:02:08 CEST 2009

--On Sunday, July 12, 2009 16:47 -0700 Erik van der Poel
<erikv at google.com> wrote:

> I think it would be a good idea to move the normalization and
> NFC text from section 5.2 of the protocol draft to section 5.3.
>
> The order of the steps in the mappings draft should probably be
> lower-casing, wide/narrow mapping, then NFC. These steps are
> performed in this order in IDNA2003 too.

I have, temporarily, done that move in a different way, but it
is clear that, at the end of Section 5.3, the string has to
[still] be in NFC form.  If and when we decide that we are
keeping the mapping document, I want to restructure 5.2 and 5.3
into one section and refer to Mapping for, e.g., the discussion
about getting to Unicode.  IMO, that discussion in Mapping is
better (and more comprehensive) that what is now in Section 5.2.

So, if we keep Mapping, then the combined 5.2 and 5.3 would
basically say:

	* Get the string from whatever form you find it in to
	Unicode, following the advice in [Mapping]

	* That string MUST be in NFC form.

Does that work for everyone, again, given that we don't discard
the Mapping doc entirely?

If we do drop the Mapping document (I'm waiting for Vint to say
something about when he thinks consensus has been reached even
though I thought the San Francisco output was fairly clear), I
hope to enlist help from Paul and Pete to get the relevant
explanations out of Mapping and put them in 5.2 and 5.3 of
Protocol.   Again, does that make sense?