mappings-01 and the general procedure

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Sun Jul 12 23:00:50 CEST 2009

At 1:50 PM -0700 7/12/09, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>The "instead" is fine. I was only pointing out that "appliction" was
>misspelled, and that the general procedure is not in the right order.
>(The NFC step should be last.)

We are definitely interested in hearing proposed orders for the steps that would reduce user confusion.

>Also, I would prefer an IDNAbis that does not specify applying NFC
>twice (once in the mappings draft and once in the protocol draft). It
>doesn't seem necessary.

Sooooo, which order are you proposing:
---------------------------
   1.  Upper case characters are mapped to their lower case equivalents
       by using the algorithm for mapping Unicode characters.

   2.  Full-width and half-width characters (those defined with
       Decomposition Types <wide> and <narrow>) are mapped to their
       decomposition mappings as shown in the Unicode character
       database.

   3.  All characters are mapped using Unicode Normalization Form C
       (NFC).
   1.  Full-width and half-width characters (those defined with
       Decomposition Types <wide> and <narrow>) are mapped to their
       decomposition mappings as shown in the Unicode character
       database.

   2.  Upper case characters are mapped to their lower case equivalents