Turkish i/ı

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Sun Jul 12 15:27:53 CEST 2009

> I guess Turkish schoolchildren know the difference between i and ı.
> I guess we can't make I map to both i and ı at the same time, but my
> guess is that Turks would be glad to be able to use both i and ı even if
> I mapped to i rather than to ı (as they would feel would be the right
> thing).

I also suspect that the availability of both i and ı is likely to be the
primary concern for Turkish IDNs. I'd further venture a guess that any
use of CamelCaps in the Turkish segment of the bus-sided namespace has
already been conditioned by the problem with the lower-casing of I to i.

Is this a matter that can be addressed in IDNA without (intrinsically
proscribed) need for overriding a fundamental attribute of the DNS?

/Cary