AW: Eszett

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Jul 12 14:59:02 CEST 2009

--On Sunday, July 12, 2009 08:33 -0400 Eric Brunner-Williams
<ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:

> John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> ... we
>> would ban "w" in favor of "uu" or "vv", might ban "u" in favor
>> of "v" ...
>
> Clearly the correct form is a "u" positioned above, and
> joining, an "o", the Wabenaki solution to the problem
> presented by 16th century French lacking the requisite
> character. If you'll all turn your Unicode hymn books to
> U+0222 and U+0223 ...

Of course, in their Unicode font rendering, someone would
probably complain that both characters were confusable with the
digit "8", but...

There are moments (but only extremely brief moments) when I
think that maybe we should have taken RFC 5242 more seriously :-(