interoperability testing

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sat Jul 11 20:18:56 CEST 2009

At Google, we have been working on a tool and set of test cases in
HTML that allow us to test the browsers. (We haven't spent time on IM,
email, databases, etc yet.) We don't use CSS in these test cases, so
the results don't show any CSS-dependent differences. Basically, we
start WireShark (previously known as Ethereal) and then we capture
packets sent from browsers when we load the HTML test files in them.
Then we save the captured file and generate reports that show
differences between, say, one browser on different operating systems,
or different browsers on the same operating system.

For example, we can now clearly see the difference between Firefox 2
and 3 in the handling of non-ASCII text in the path part of the URL.
(Firefox 2 sends it in the original encoding of the HTML, while
Firefox 3 sends it in UTF-8.) We also test every ASCII value (0..127)
in every part of the URL. We look at both DNS and HTTP packets.

The results are not quite ready for publication. We will probably send
them to the browser developers first, and then to spec writers and
other interested folks.

Erik