Are we getting anywhere? ;-)

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Jul 11 08:21:26 CEST 2009

Hello Shawn,

On 2009/07/11 8:17, Shawn Steele wrote:
> I think I’m hearing 2 basic ideas:  Mapping is really bad some places (Registration), and mapping is required in some others (Browsers).  There’s a disagreement about where the line between the two is, but I think there are valid cases for both.
>
> The current drafts handle “Registration” separately from lookup.  Is there another case besides “lookup” and “registration”?  I think that storage has been mentioned, but I don’t know if that’s similar to registration.
>
> I’d like to propose:
> 1) Keep the “Registration” section
> 2) Change “UI” to “Lookup” and make mapping a SHOULD.  Also any mapping MUST use the same tables.

I think one of the original motivations for not doing mapping was to be
able to adjust to different local needs. As an example, it might be
helpful if Turkish software used the Turkish rules for lowercasing, not
the general ones.

Also, changing UI to Lookup might miss the point that it's desirable to
have hrefs and friends premapped. That doesn't mean that mapping should
not be done on Lookup, so maybe we have to say "UI and Lookup".

Regards,   Martin.