Stop me if I've misunderstood...

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 10 02:31:15 CEST 2009

> The best I can do is, "Maybe," since we could in fact program a
> zone-operator-mapping front end for zones using exactly the same
> mapping that "UIs" are going to use (to use the term that Shawn
> objected to in another message).

You're suggesting 512 records for the various forms of MiCrOsOfT?  (I don't think it matters much that a tool can generate them).  If you had that, then the "UI" wouldn't need the mapping, but there'd be a huge burden on the infrastructure.  Maybe if you could maybe come up with a way of defining mapping rules in DNS records :) (one rule that servers could apply instead of 512 bundled records for each unique domain, like if you rebuilt the DNS system from scratch).

The registrars have objected on this list to somewhat "simpler" bundling.

-Shawn