mappings-01

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Jul 5 15:38:48 CEST 2009

john,

The mappings document outlines what I think is part of a spectrum of
mappings/modifications of user input that may eventually find its way
into a DNS lookup action. Technically, one could refer in the lookup
section of protocol the phrase "implementors MAY apply mappings-01
prior to lookup." it seems to me this is permissive without being
dispositive. I agree that definitions could reference the document
as being a part of the series dealing with lookup pre-processing.

Paul, Peter,

would such a reference do damage to your effort to treat the
matter with delicacy?

vint