[iucg] [Idna-arabicscript] Re: Punycode Mixed-case annotation

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jul 3 14:06:57 CEST 2009

Jean-Michel,
Please, let keep it cool.

Mark is a linguist using English based/biased (not pejorative)
digital computers as they are, and feeding them with "pre-data"
(Unicode, CLDR) in order to permit them to work correctly in an
English+languages+scripts context. He must be thanked a lot for that.

Now, we are confronting him with a new technical challenge, because
the "computers" we consider are very different. They are networked,
virtual (in many ways), with semiotic interface, semantic and
neuronal, and interactive with distant humans (heterarchic context).

So, he is fully correct in challenging the sense of what we say. This
is not because I say something that I am right against the entire
world. He just overdoes it a little in starting with a conclusion
("this is nonsense") and too quick in his thinking (he associates the
whole of what we say, only with French language related details).

However,
- challenging what we say on linguistic grounds is not an IETF issue.
As the IETF we are not here to oppose the specs and direct the users.
- discussing French language will always be opposed, as for the
Arabic Tatweel: are you sure everyone agrees with you? We do not want
to go by a single gopel but by the diverse and sometimes opposing people ways.
- we certainly are interested in making sure that the technology we
want to add will make the best out of his Unicode, and his inputs are
very welcome. As well as his comments when we want to use Unicode and
some "meta-data" we have to enrich it.
- we also are very interested in his command of English and French
and his love of the French language, because he may better perceive
what is pragmatic (context dependent) and semantic (meaning related)
in what we consider. Moreover when we consider the French, English,
Chinese, etc. languages not only as a human languages but as
particular parts of a semantic multilinguistic metatechnology.

Mark is a long time practitioneer of a part which interests us a lot:
human usage interface with "mecanologie". How people do react when
confronted with new  "mechanical" rules (such as Unicode tables,
locale files, etc.).  We have much to learn from him about
man/machine relation in a language context

I do hope he accepts to work with us, helping us to correct what we
might think wrong.
Best
jfc